Multiply
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What percentiles are considered good?

+6
sandals
trinity
luck
bubbs
regi
sweep
10 posters

Go down

What percentiles are considered good? Empty What percentiles are considered good?

Post by sweep Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:15 am

I scored 209, putting me in the 96th percentile. I'm sure that's good and all but it got me wondering what would be considered a "good" percentile in the first place? 85th, so like a 200/201?
80th?

sweep
Elizabeth School ‘26

OVR : 96
MSAT : 209
Σ : 418
Exam : 2023-03-25

Back to top Go down

What percentiles are considered good? Empty Re: What percentiles are considered good?

Post by regi Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:16 am

the only number that matters is your sigma score.

regi
Savard University ‘26

OVR : 86
MSAT : 204
Σ : 402
Exam : 2022-12-04

luck and sandals agree.

Back to top Go down

What percentiles are considered good? Empty Re: What percentiles are considered good?

Post by bubbs Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:17 am

i'll play along

50th - 188 (average)
75th - 196 (pretty amazing)
85th - 200 (outstanding)
95th - 208 (inconceivable)

me - 98th, 213

bubbs
Columbia University ‘26

OVR : 97
MSAT : 213
Σ : 426
Exam : 2023-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by luck Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:21 pm

I think sigma percentiles would be more appropriate.

Last edited by luck on Mon May 01, 2023 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

luck
Vale University ‘26

OVR : 98
MSAT : 215
Σ : 427
Exam : 2022-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by trinity Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:59 pm

anything over 50 honestly.

trinity
Pike University ‘26

OVR : 79
MSAT : 199
Σ : 395
Exam : 2022-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post by sweep Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:25 am

trinity wrote:anything over 50 honestly.
no way that's true.

sweep
Elizabeth School ‘26

Back to top Go down

Post by sandals Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:41 pm

sweep wrote:
no way that's true.
no, that is true. also, who cares about OVRs except for maybe the few that are 100 OVRs? what matters is the sigma score itself, not what percentile you're in because of said score. after that, what matters are the schools you get accepted into.

sandals
Boward University ‘26

MSAT : 210
Σ : 417
Exam : 2023-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by sweep Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:46 pm

sandals wrote:
sweep wrote:
no way that's true.
no, that is true. also, who cares about OVRs except for maybe the few that are 100 OVRs? what matters is the sigma score itself, not what percentile you're in because of said score. after that, what matters are the schools you get accepted into.
I can't believe you're saying that especially as someone who has a high percentile score such as yourself. Don't you want to feel better than others? I mean, your OVR sets you apart from the majority of applicants in the best way possible -- by literally being better than them.

sweep
Elizabeth School ‘26

Back to top Go down

Post by xjdog Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:48 pm

sweep wrote:
sandals wrote:
sweep wrote:
no way that's true.
I can't believe you're saying that especially as someone who has a high percentile score such as yourself. Don't you want to feel better than others? I mean, your OVR sets you apart from the majority of applicants in the best way possible -- by literally being better than them.
well of course. that's what 9x percentile means, moron. what makes you the "best" on here though isn't your MSAT, your Sigma, or even the fucking percentile you fall under as a result of your Sigma; it's about the schools you get into. that's it.

xjdog
Weston University ‘26

OVR : 56
MSAT : 193
Σ : 380
Exam : 2022-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by kash Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:53 pm

sweep wrote:
sandals wrote:
sweep wrote:
no way that's true.
i guess my question would be why is that so important to you? i'm sure the majority of us would look more favorably on someone who might have a 188/376 yet got into Vale than someone who has a 212/424 that got Columbia. 

why? because at the end of the day, that person who got into Vale, regardless of their stats, managed to get that green light that the majority of us never get. sure, we can go back and forth all day about how your numbers ought to make you the superior applicant, but we don't choose our schools, they choose us, and it's the acceptances that determine who comes out on top.

kash
Columbia University ‘26

MSAT : 211
Σ : 419
Exam : 2023-04-08

luck, gus and shanti agree.

Back to top Go down

Post by shanti Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:57 pm

what  @kash said was beautifully put. it just pains me that it's under one of the most disgusting threads on this forum. please,  @sweep, do us all a favor and delete this thread. this is not a space for conjuring up debates over whether percentiles mean something when the consensus is that they don't.

shanti
Walton School ‘26

OVR : Columbia University
MSAT : 213
Σ : 0
Exam : 2023-02-12

gus agrees.

Back to top Go down

Post by gus Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:00 pm

i guess in a way, percentiles matter. but like many people have already said on this forum, they don't determine who the better applicants are. 

there are a ton of other elements to consider.

essays, PAR, recommendations, other niche experiences that may be looked upon favorably by the MSA, etc.

gus
Vale University ‘26

OVR : 99
MSAT : 217
Σ : 434
Exam : 2023-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum